The Mechatronics works in interdisciplinary skills and knowledge of mechanics, electronics , electrical, control and information technology, in order to design and develop products involving control systems for product design or intelligent process , which seeks to create more complex machinery to facilitate activities the human being through electronic processes.
Mechatronics is therefore focused on mechanisms, electronic components and computing modules, which, when combined, allow the generation of more flexible systems versatile intelligent economical, reliable and simple.
A typical system includes mechatronic signals, processes them, and, as output, generates forces and movements. Mechanical systems extend and integrate with sensors, microprocessors and controllers.
The products that are obtained have high precision mechanisms. They are controlled by electronic devices reprogrammed to operate in different conditions, make optimal use of materials and energy used, designs are more aesthetic and ergonomic, and have what could be called an intelligent relationship with the environment.
Some examples of mechatronic are robots, CNC machines , ATMs , wheelchairs that recognize voice commands, pacemakers , prostheses , artificial organs , automotive subsystems such as electronic ignition systems , active suspension , control noise and emissions , anti-lock systems, spin wizards among others, electronic cameras, fax machines, copiers....
Mechatronics adds value to the following areas: industrial automation, biomechanics, intelligent control, computer numerical control, design and computer-aided manufacturing, medicine, microprocessors and microcontrollers, industrial communication networks, robotics, and flexible manufacturing systems.
CIT UPC provides companies and institutions its knowledge and experience in the field of mechatronics in:
- Design, development and control of industrial processes and equipment. Automation of machines and industrial processes.
- Automation of complex systems of measurement.
- Industrial communications. Systems monitoring and data acquisition for industrial processes.
- Digital control with microprocessors and DSPs.
- Control and motor systems design.
- Predictive maintenance . Remote on- line monitoring. Application of artificial intelligence techniques for diagnostic systems.