Technological Development Centre of Remote Acquisition and Data processing Systems
Created in 2000, SARTI is formed by a multidisciplinary team and focuses on developing environmental instruments and sensors for industrial and scientific applications. Its areas of expertise are as follows:
Marine and terrestrial technologies
• Oceanographic instrumentation Operational infrastructure for testing instruments, Internet connectivity, design of data-capture devices.
• Fishing technologies and oceanographic instrumentation.
• Construction and installation of cabled and autonomous underwater observatories.
• Study of hydrodynamics and sediment transport between the coast and the continental shelf.
• Manufacturing and design of land and marine seismic instrumentation.
• Evaluation and monitoring of species of high economic value. Underwater acoustics.
• Energy efficiency in boats; fishing gear simulation.
Automation of complex measurement systems
• Dimensional metrology. ENAC-accredited (ISO 17025) laboratory.
• Interoperability and standardisation of sensors and measuring equipment. IEEE Std. 1451, IEEE Std. 1588, and others.
• Traceability, verification and calibration of equipment for measuring temperature, humidity, vibrations, pressure, electrical parameters, etc.
• Dynamics of environmental systems. Measurements of light pollution, environmental noise, electric fields and energy efficiency.
Electronic design of remote data-acquisition systems (including simulation methods and statistical analysis)
• Design of automated test and measurement systems: smart distributed sensors, virtual instrumentation, design validation.
• Electronic design and manufacture of prototypes.
• Computer-controlled process automation. High-level programming languages, Java, LabVIEW, etc. Computer vision.
• Wired and wireless communication systems for sensor networks.
• Smart distributed networks (WiFi, ZigBee, RFID, etc.).
• Virtual instrumentation and bus controllers (GPIB, CAN, LIN, LXI, etc.).
Digital signal processing
• Software applications
• Real-time signal processing and online data processing
• Distributed systems
• Systems control
• Biometric systems
SARTI is an associate unit of the Jaume Almera Institute of Earth Sciences, the Institute of Marine Science and the Marine Technology Unit of the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC). It is an ENAC-accredited (ISO 17025) laboratory and has three registered patents.
The industrial applications of its technologies are used in:
SARTI’s most important equipment includes a hyperbaric chamber, shaker, sound level meter, noise and vibration sources, climatic test chamber, multi-product calibrator, 7.5 digit digital multimeter, digital phosphor oscilloscope (DPO), thermographic camera, EMF meter, low-distortion function generator, GPS receiver, event counter, AA and EC power supplies and fusion splicing, development systems using different microcontroller families and wireless sensor networks, and data acquisition systems in different formats (PCI, PXI, USB, WiFi, etc.).
System for monitoring and controlling elements of a vehicle
The leading car manufacturer SEAT and the SARTI UPC research group have designed a system to monitor the internal parameters of vehicles so they can be analysed remotely. This system, which is used in vehicle tests and checks, interacts with the vehicle’s CAN bus, through which information about the status of the vehicle passes to allow remote interaction with it. SEAT patented the designed system as part of the project developed by the SARTI UPC research group.
Energy efficiency in fishing trawlers
The fisheries sector needs real information on the behaviour of trawlers when out fishing in order to reduce fuel consumption and minimise pollutant gases like CO2. The Catalan Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Fisheries, Food and Natural Environment has sponsored this project with the aim of improving the efficiency, sustainability and benefits of the fishing trawler fleet. The SARTI group developed the system used to collect, remotely send and manage data from more than 20 sensors installed on five boats off the Catalan coast. The data gathered by the research group include consumption, speed, fishing gear and temperature and have been analysed by the Faculty of Nautical Studies with the aim of proposing improvements that affect energy consumption.
Quota controls for grape unloading during the harvest season
In order to monitor and control the quotas assigned to grape growers in Catalonia, the Catalan Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Fisheries, Food and Natural Environment has worked with the Cava Regulatory Council and the SARTI UPC research group to design and implement a prototype system involving smart memory cards that control the quotas assigned to each grower.
Laser testing system to control belt quality in the production of power transmission belts
At one of their power transmission belt production plants in Balsareny, the multinational Gates Corporation and the SARTI UPC group designed a quality-control system for one phase of production. In this system, an endless belt is monitored by a laser sensor to verify the quality of the process. Today, the test system in the production process is an essential part of the quality control and is required by Gates Corporation’s clients.