Horticulture: Technification and improvement in efficiency of horticultural crops
- Improvement in prediction systems (production control)
- Pest and disease management
- New alternatives to chemical control
New post-harvest treatments: development of protocols that enable a product’s useful life to be extended while maintaining properties and quality
Greenhouses and vertical crops: improvement in the efficiency of production infrastructure based on technification and sustainability.
PRECISION AGRICULTURE (SMART FARMING)
Application of new information and communication technologies (ICT), sensorics, robotics and AI to agricultural tasks, to improve efficiency and reduce inputs:
- Automation of processes and mechanisation of production processes
- Development of measurement systems in agriculture and communication of data with less energy consumption
- Remote sensing for open-air crops using drones and satellites
- Improvement of productivity with mobile robots
- Design of machinery and equipment
Development of data processing systems based on artificial intelligence and deep learning to generate high value-added information for decision making and automation of processes.
- Agriculture 4.0: systems for capturing and processing images and telecommunication systems based on data science
- Design of circular sustainable production processes
- Development of biomaterials based on renewable sources or the transformation of by-products into raw materials
- Reduction of losses in the field
- Development of technology to use plant fibres (hemp, maize, etc.) for textile production, construction and other industries
Design of sustainable production processes under the paradigm of circularity within farming and throughout the food chain.
- Management of wastewater to reduce contamination and be able to reuse it
- Design of processes without CO2 emissions to contribute to decarbonisation
- Sources of renewable energy to generate bioenergy
- Preservation of biodiversity of cultivated plants
AGRICULTURE AND MARINE ENVIRONMENT
DISTRIBUTION AND MASS CONSUMPTION
- Agricultural robotics is currently an emerging sector. Although initiatives to automate farming tasks are beginning to emerge, most of them are in the United States and […]
- The greatest losses in the viticulture sector come from pathologies caused by fungi. Botrytis cinerea has the greatest economic impact, as it attacks all the green […]
- To improve efficiency and efficacy in the use of irrigation water in agriculture and in the transformation of foods, the GroPeRBot emerged. Participants include the Center for Industrial Equipment Design-Dynamics of Machines (CDEI) and the Geophysics and Earthquake Engineering (GiES) group of the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya - BarcelonaTech (UPC).