- Smart control of light waves with metamaterials, metasurfaces and non-Hermetian media, which can improve the directionality of sound/microwave antenna.
- Simulation and quantitative study of quantum solids, liquids and gases at low temperatures.
- Multifunctional materials for the production of medical implants with high-performance antibacterial potential.
- Bio-based materials and fibres to replace petroleum-based polyurethanes.
- Hybrid materials, conjugated systems and polymers that can act as sensors and drug delivery devices.
- Design of new degradable polymer matrices with bactericide, antioxidant and anticancer properties.
- Surgical smart, biocompatible meshes.
Fibres, coatings and composites
- Hydrogel coatings loaded with functional nanoparticles for chronic wounds and other applications.
- Computational modelling and fast testing to boost the use of lightweight materials in the automobile industry.
- Technologies for manufacturing fibre reinforced plastic for lightweight structures.
- Thermally conductive polymer composite materials to recover metals and minerals from brine produced by desalination plants.
Materials for electronics and energy
- Hybrid materials for low-cost, very high-efficiency sustainable photovoltaic technologies.
- Study of photocatalytic and antibacterial activity of solid surfaces.
- Manufacture of silicon (Si) die and coverglass for solar sensors with applications in space.
- Optical control technologies in ferroelectric materials for sensors, memory devices and actuators..
- Nanoporous electrodes for energy storage prototypes that achieve high power densities through drying/wetting cycles.
- Photocatalytic production of H2 with microreactors and photonic glass.
- Bimetallic catalysts for energy management and for blue and green hydrogen production.
- The research group Eco-friendly Plastics and Composites (e-PLASCOM) at the Universitat Politècnica Catalunya - BarcelonaTech (UPC) is participating in the European Advanced Engineering and Research of aeroGels for Environment and Life Sciences (AERoGELS) project. This project is designed to bring together the knowledge of academic, industrial and regulatory experts on the research and technology of aerogels at European scale.
- The research group Polyfunctional Polymeric Materials (POLY2) of the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya - BarcelonaTech (UPC) will work on the project CELICOIDS - Nanohelicoid metamaterials templated by cellulose nanocrystals with end-tethered polymers. As part of this project, it will develop new metamaterials −materials designed to have a property that is not found in nature – that can increase the spectroscopic sensitivity to distinguish molecular chirality.
- The greatest losses in the viticulture sector come from pathologies caused by fungi. Botrytis cinerea has the greatest economic impact, as it attacks all the green […]
- The Construction Engineering (EC) Research Group of the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC) is participating in the NEUROCRETE project.