- Smart control of light waves with metamaterials, metasurfaces and non-Hermetian media, which can improve the directionality of sound/microwave antenna.
- Simulation and quantitative study of quantum solids, liquids and gases at low temperatures.
- Multifunctional materials for the production of medical implants with high-performance antibacterial potential.
- Bio-based materials and fibres to replace petroleum-based polyurethanes.
- Hybrid materials, conjugated systems and polymers that can act as sensors and drug delivery devices.
- Design of new degradable polymer matrices with bactericide, antioxidant and anticancer properties.
- Surgical smart, biocompatible meshes.
Fibres, coatings and composites
- Hydrogel coatings loaded with functional nanoparticles for chronic wounds and other applications.
- Computational modelling and fast testing to boost the use of lightweight materials in the automobile industry.
- Technologies for manufacturing fibre reinforced plastic for lightweight structures.
- Thermally conductive polymer composite materials to recover metals and minerals from brine produced by desalination plants.
Materials for electronics and energy
- Hybrid materials for low-cost, very high-efficiency sustainable photovoltaic technologies.
- Study of photocatalytic and antibacterial activity of solid surfaces.
- Manufacture of silicon (Si) die and coverglass for solar sensors with applications in space.
- Optical control technologies in ferroelectric materials for sensors, memory devices and actuators..
- Nanoporous electrodes for energy storage prototypes that achieve high power densities through drying/wetting cycles.
- Photocatalytic production of H2 with microreactors and photonic glass.
- Bimetallic catalysts for energy management and for blue and green hydrogen production.