- Multielement antennae for vehicles connected with technology based on beamforming
- Data modulation for WiFi devices to communicate with non-WiFi devices
- IoT mesh networks with low-power radios
- Management of interference in communications and information processing
SDN/NFV RADIO ACCESS NETWORK
- Signal protocol models to improve efficiency in handover mechanisms via a software-defined network (SDN)
- Serious games for remote rehabilitation
- Devices for low-cost, remote cardiovascular monitoring
- Image processing to diagnose anterior cruciate ligament injuries in the knee and to identify and characterise epigastric perforators
- Differential diagnosis in patients with Parkinsonʼs disease using biomechanical tests
- Improved geolocation for shared vehicles in critical areas of the city through Galileo
- Efficient processors for intelligent computing systems that can carry out cognitive functions
- Faster processors with lower energy consumption for artificial intelligence and automatic learning
- Architectures and technologies for the control and management of virtual infrastructure resources for the optimal supply of end-to-end services
- Optimisation of massive multiple input multiple output (MIMO) communications
- Miniaturised, wireless graphene antennae that can operate in the terahertz band
- Algorithms for energy optimisation for 5G networks
- Low-cost radiofrequency (RF) links with low energy consumption
- Algorithms to detect cyber-physical attacks
- Intrusion detection system (IDS)/intrusion prevention system (IPS)
- More efficient, safer hardware security systems for memory devices (memristors)
- Advanced management and control system for 5G networks
We offer infrastuctures for users or organisations interested in using a platform that integrates radio and optical technology, sensors, SDN controllers, network resource orchestrators and data centres to perform communications test for 5G services.
Internet of things
The UPC develops solutions based on its expert knowledge and experience in applied technology, in response to current smart connectivity challenges. In addition, the UPC is a leading university in the transfer of research results, the creation of start-ups, and the coordination of national and international projects.
The UPC also participates in 5G Barcelona, is a member of EIT Urban Mobility along with the CIT UPC, and is a founding member of CARNET, a project coordinated by CIT UPC and based on public-private collaboration to design the urban mobility of the future.
All three initiatives are an example of the range of areas in which the UPC applies connectivity in a cross-cutting way for a global environment.
- The research and innovation laboratory at the Barcelona School of Informatics (inLab FIB) of the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya - BarcelonaTech (UPC) is taking part, along with the distribution company Assolim, in the design of a test of concept to create optimised routes for each vehicle for transport on demand.
- The inLab FIB of the UPC is participating with the company Kapture Intelligence in a project to improve quality control systems in manufacture processes, based on a model of an artificial intelligence algorithm that detects when a part or product has suffered from a drop in quality level.
- The Wireless Communications and Technologies Research Group (WiComTec) at the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya - BarcelonaTech (UPC) is participating in a project to develop and implement solutions based on the Internet of Everything to make mobile drone communication safer and more efficient.
- A team of researchers from the Acoustic and Mechanical Engineering Laboratory (LEAM) in the Centre for Advanced Technologies in Mechanics (CATMech) at the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya - BarcelonaTech (UPC) is participating in the development of a method that can generate and update noise maps for cities via mobile acoustic sensors.